Skip to main content

black box theatre

Happy Playstation 4 Day! Of course it is but the North American rendition of this glorious moment. The main event that is the European launch materialising a mere two weeks from now. Only the laws of time and space seperate me from my pre-ordered console now.

Yes it's that special time in the ongoing imaginary arms race of first world consumer electronics. As always, perspective is required. Recent events outside this little bubble of ours make that all too clear. Consoles, smartphones, tablets. They're glitzy electronic doodads elevated to godhood by the tech priests of Sony and Microsoft and others like them. Its absurd and we're absurd for going along with it but we go along with it because its absurd, and its fun.
 
So as I settle down with my little black box two weeks from now absolutely thrilled to be in possession of yet another coveted marvel of the technological age I hope I have the wherewithal to realise I am but a fraction of a fraction of those fortunate enough to live in this context. A context free from questions of hunger, disease or survival. 

Buzzkill aside, I am excited, hyped even for November 29th. In my own personal ridiculous way I am stupidly excited for the launch of the next generation of consoles. I'm just trying not to blinker myself and screen out the outside world as I do so. I am thankful I get to write about something I love. End of story really, lets return to our regularly scheduled programming of puerile wit and mangled wordplay before I get too self-important. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...