Skip to main content

flash bang action quota

Done and done. Completed Killzone Shadow Fall last night and the final verdict? Well in the spirit of truth and honesty its not a bad game, its somewhere between okay and good,  often threatening to get great but then  rarely making good on its promise. Its absolutely, resolutely somewhere better than adequate.

Not a definitive enough verdict there? Well that's the story of this game and really the series as a whole. Frequently infuriating and gratifying, only those with the patience to deal with its regular foibles will see it through to the end. Shame too, its a good end. A shadowy web of lies, espionage and betrayal, in fact the game almost gets all Call of Duty Modern Warfare for a moment there. Eighties Action Thriller stylee. Then it ends, dang.

Killzones 2 and 3 also saved the most interesting story bits for the end and I'm not sure why that is. It's like the writers suddenly got struck by performance anxiety and panicked at having to live up to the stratospherically high standards of better than mediocre storytelling. Like my perpetually low standards are way too much for them.

Visually and technically its a success story, a showcase even for the shiny new tech that powers it. So its probably delivering what it set out to do, however much that is or isn't. Its makers still can't crack the nut of good storytelling with nothing remarkably smart or entertainingly stupid to be found here. It's the very definition of 'it'll do' entertainment.

So Shadow Fall was worthwhile even if didn't exceed my subdued expectations. Had it not come bundled with the console I could have happily waited a while before picking it up cheap but ultimately it fulfulled its flash bang action quota. Damning with faint praise yes but I disengaged my brain and enjoyed it for the most part. A middling recommendation at best. Shame though, all the pieces are there they just can't make them fit together. 

Think I'll go give multiplayer a whirl though. That's still a satisfyingly robust experience. See how long it takes before the novelty of having my brains blasted into the next post code wears off. Then I might give Battlefield 4's single player campaign a once-through, or maybe I'll just jab my brain with pointy objects for all the good that'll do me. I obviously hate my brain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...