Skip to main content

making aliens go boom

Spent most of the day getting my ass handed back to me playing XCOM: Enemy Within today so not much in the way of a blog update tonight unless you want me to repeat random profanities for the next few hundred words. Yes you wouldn't think it but I'm actually in my happy place playing this game.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown was possibly my favourite game of 2012 and this is essentially that game with a whole lot extra bolted on top of it. It's top down ruthless strategy at its best, the kind of experience I'd thought game makers had all but given up on, especially on console but no here is a game that feels like the evolution of strategy games I played way back in the day.

There is certainly a nostalgia factor going on here that your spidey senses may be picking up on. It does bring back a lot of warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear but this is no rose tinted love-in with gaming's past. This game does not gently take you into its stride, it drops you in the deep end of shit creek sans paddle.

You play the faceless authority figure in charge of XCOM, a top secret hush hush shadowy defence force fighting off the inevitable alien plot against the planet. The fight takes many forms. Whether it be researching alien tech, building sci-fi toy eviscerators or just taking your walking, talking action figures into battle, this game demands some supreme juggling of your responsibilities.

The game proper is managing your squad as they take on the alien threat. Watching the angles, flanking foes and completing objectives. Into the mix there is also permadeath where your squad members die and stay most definitely dead.

Now these are randomly generated squad members you grow to appreciate as the game goes on. The more encounters they survive the more they get promoted and get up skilled in the art of making aliens go boom. So when they die, say by being blindsided by a new threat the game throws at you with no warning, well it actually feels like a kick to the nuts of your ongoing war effort.

That this game forges a connection between me the player and randomly generated characters says a lot about what this game gets so right. The tone, the mechanics and the B-movie nonsense, they work, they just work perfectly together. Given how often I'm left cold by the plethora of games that fail to forge that basic connection this is a welcome change to gaming's regularly scheduled programming these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...