Skip to main content

wisecracking robot ninjas

'We need to shoot the train off the rails!'

Day 2 of Killzone Shadow Fall and I shit you not, that was an actual line uttered by an actor channelling superhuman powers of indifference towards the material he has to work with. Don't get me wrong though, in its own big stupid way that line made me grin and hope that in some way this game is aware of its own stupidity.

I have my doubts though, in a game as self-consciously 'gritty' as this I'm not sure the humour was intentional or more the product of my twisted mind. The part that likes b-movie schlock only as long as its done well. Part of the reason Call of Duty has prevailed for so long is that its stories go big on stupidity much like the finest 80's action movies. Its makers know stupidity is best done in large doses, because in increments it gets rapidly tedious.

Am I defending stupidity in storytelling after yesterday bemoaning the lack of nuance and substance in videogame storytelling? Am I frustratingly inconsistent? Of course I am. That is to say there's room for both sides of the argument and all the points inbetween. It applies to other media where the trashy and the high brow co-exist alongside each other, it can apply to games too.

I mean I'm playing a game where me and my portable murderbot are shooting intergalactic cockneys by the truckload. There is ample room for creatively entertaining stupidity here and they barely scratch the surface of its potential. I want to save the President from the walking, talking atomic bomb that (in a shock twist) happens to be the President himself en-route to broker a peace treaty with the Russians of Planet X. I want well made shlock that goes big and holds nothing back.

Too much to ask? I don't think so. This game and many like it are most of the way there already. But their makers are just a little too precious about their self-image as 'serious' storytellers to come to grips with the fact that they tell ridiculous stories and have been doing so for ages.

Maybe this is all coming from someone who thinks Robocop is the most awesome film ever made. A film that proved that stupidity can be kickass, stupidity can be endearing and in the greatest twist of all, stupidity can be intelligent or at least intelligently made.

Stupidity as a cover story for something that plays it smart behind the facade. It's a fine line few tread so maybe I'm asking too much as I wait for videogames to have their Robocop moment. Not sure I'll find it in Shadow Fall but if I find any interdimensional wisecracking robot ninjas I'll be sure to let you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...