Skip to main content

enter 2014

So we arrive in 2014 after the bumpy ride that was 2013, that year long conclusion to the transition that was 2012 and no that's enough of that you get the idea I'm sure. Its that time of year where everyone and their gay cousins roommate are eulogising the year past and prophesying the year ahead. Everyone's getting their respective inner mystic on except me.

Not going to happen here. Instead I'm going to drink tea and write about things on a daily basis. There, that's about the limit of my glimpse into the future, doesn't really extend to all things that will occur in 2014 outside of my little corner of it. It will certainly contain 365 days worth of time let me tell you! Events will occur, shenanigans will transgress, circumstances will transpire.

Probably a reason why I avoid the whole cycle of retrospection and prediction that occurs without fail around this time of year. For someone who thinks and writes about the niche within the niche that is videogames well there's not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Whether it was last year, the one before or the one before that the story remains much the same. Namely that technology is getting better and continues to pack more of a wallop than it used to. Problem is, everything else isn't getting better along with it. New consoles came out with some nifty new features but did we see a shift forward in the development of games as a medium? No, not really.

Raw technology alone is pretty disengaging without the ideas to back it up and whilst those ideas are out there the money is still chasing the uninspired me-too copycat notions of what makes a videogame now. I'm sure we'll still get the exceptions to the rule, those amazing games that will continue to be amazing. Almost as certain as we'll see Call of Duty: Space Ranger Cold Warriors Part II on release come next November.

Oh well bring it on. I'll be here at the keyboard watching and waiting and playing and typing away. But on that note I think Background Noise is going to become a more general all-purpose outlet for all the nonsense my brain can throw at the screen. This place seems like a good fit for it. Oh there'll be plenty of gaming going on to be sure only with an added dose of utter randomness to mix it up a little. Welcome 2014, close the door behind you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...