Skip to main content

turn the volume down

Quiet evening, headphones on, a chilled wave of ambience carrying me away to horizons new and old. Insert much self indulgent wankery here, it'll fit nicely into a paragraph like this. Still, a pause is good. Helps me think, turns the volume down in my brain a tad. All that stuff in there, full of half thoughts and semi-notions. Gets busy know what I'm saying?

Just close my eyes and I'm there, wherever there happens to be in my head at the time. If I didn't know better I'd think I was on the cusp of something profound but then whatever it is is gone and I'm not sure what I was on about to begin with. Like a lot of what my brain does to me actually but to music.

So yeah a few paragraphs of semi-coherent nonsense for tonights blog update. My brain obviously responds to ambient melodic chillout music like its trying to do one of every drug at once. Probably safer this way, also cheaper. Sounds obviously do something to the old brain chemistry leading to the mess of words you're reading on your screen right now.

The merits of typing all this down are dubious at best. Trying to capture a glimmer of something I guess, something I can't quite verbalise without lapsing into further, deeper incoherence. Like a fugue state of stupidity that may or may not produce something interesting in the fullness of time. I'm talking like epochs here waiting for something interesting to come out of all this.

Or maybe not. Maybe this is one of those journeys rather than the destination. More important to let everything come to a halt for its own sake rather than draw something out of the experience for a barely thought out blog update. This is why I don't go on safari in my brain on a regular basis, even I wonder about the stuff I come back with.

Back soon to the regularly scheduled programming peeps. I'm on much safer ground with ninjas and robots for a start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my top 100 games of all time part 1

It begins! You know what? I'm just going to do it. No more procrastination, no more delay, no more shifting the ranking around to accommodate the latest greatest game I've played. No it's time. Time to deliver on a mission I set for myself back in the first glorious age of this blog before everything went dark for a few years. It's happening folks, I am beginning the Top 100 ranking of my all-time favourite video games.  These will be games I've played so if any obvious contenders are not there it's because I never got around to playing them or I did and then forgot about them meaning they probably wouldn't have made the list anyway. It's all entirely my own personal opinion of the games that mean the most to me. It is the sum total of my best experiences in gaming over several decades of playing them. So where better to begin my Top 100 game ranking than by err... the honourable mentions?

completionism 2025: mega edition

BEHOLD... THE MEGA EDITION! It's time o nce again!  With no further ado b ut actually with some ado I am going to recap my personal year in gaming. The scintillating highs, the cratering lows with all points in-between and beyond spoken for as well. It's that most holy of end of year traditions and let me tell you I am both up for it and down for it simultaneously. On reflection I've somehow said the same thing twice there. Alas now's not the time to deliberate on the foibles and quirks of the English tongue! No it's the time for gaming and a super mega f-tonne of it as well! It's been a busy year for me outside of the gaming habit but yet somehow I have managed to squeeze in another fifty or so games. If the old gaming backlog I complain so much about was looking considerably lighter at the end of 2024 then it's positively slender now at the end of 2025. The list is still mostly comprised of 'old' games but yet again more and more curren...

the art of the ending (or how Deadly Premonition sticks the landing)

Deadly Premonition was a funny old game, an earnestly idiosyncratic tribute to the sensibilities of its creators wrapped up in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery. Of course it's that last part that caused it to pop up somewhere on my radar in the early to mid part of the last decade, anything that even partly channels the weird sensibilities of Twin Peaks and David Lynch invariably gets my attention but back to the game. This is a murder mystery, a dream like odyssey through the unknown and a reckoning with oneself that I wasn't quite prepared for. Short form social media wasn't all the rage just yet when this game was released, yet  Deadly Premonition found a popular little online niche for itself that captured the imagination of much of the gaming public. A curiously beguiling mix of gaming oddity that shouldn't have worked as well as it should have. Indeed some would say it barely worked at all.  As to why it worked for me, well I think there is something to be sa...