Skip to main content

murder ray guns

So my ongoing mission with XCOM: Enemy Within proceeds with gusto. Naturally by that I mean I'm repeatedly hitting the same wall albeit at new and exciting speeds. My aforementioned allusions to the difficulty curve very much apply here, my squad members are often to be found decorating the scenery with their insides.

Think I'm getting into the rhythm though, maybe even into the groove as this game refines my ability to plan ahead just enough to avoid utter and complete destruction. Useful life skill there. Sure my guys often miss some surely unmissable shots and the alien menace is pulling off infuriating feats of accuracy at my expense but incredibly I'm still very much enjoying this.

I previously completed Enemy Unknown on standard difficulty with only my wits, my skills and my repeated reloading of the save game. A cheap tactic yes but the only way I could play this game without it leaving me a hollow shell of myself doomed to spend eternity embittered by my inability to blast aliens in the face with my murder ray guns.

This time I'm taking on 'Classic' (read help me lord) difficulty with all the futility that entails. There is an Ironman mode that stops you exploiting the save game tactic I outlined above but I dare not use it lest I break my brain just thinking about what it takes to survive it. It saves automatically after every single move and doesn't allow you to do a take two or take three when your well considered moves result in immediate catastrophe.

No I can leave that right where it is. Me and my ridiculously customised squad members with their ridiculous action movie names will save the world or at least parts of it from total destruction. Yes maybe it won't be today, maybe not tomorrow or at any point in my foreseeable future but Sergeant Squarejaw and his gang will win, or maybe lose only for me to reload and lose again, then win, maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...