Skip to main content

murder ray guns

So my ongoing mission with XCOM: Enemy Within proceeds with gusto. Naturally by that I mean I'm repeatedly hitting the same wall albeit at new and exciting speeds. My aforementioned allusions to the difficulty curve very much apply here, my squad members are often to be found decorating the scenery with their insides.

Think I'm getting into the rhythm though, maybe even into the groove as this game refines my ability to plan ahead just enough to avoid utter and complete destruction. Useful life skill there. Sure my guys often miss some surely unmissable shots and the alien menace is pulling off infuriating feats of accuracy at my expense but incredibly I'm still very much enjoying this.

I previously completed Enemy Unknown on standard difficulty with only my wits, my skills and my repeated reloading of the save game. A cheap tactic yes but the only way I could play this game without it leaving me a hollow shell of myself doomed to spend eternity embittered by my inability to blast aliens in the face with my murder ray guns.

This time I'm taking on 'Classic' (read help me lord) difficulty with all the futility that entails. There is an Ironman mode that stops you exploiting the save game tactic I outlined above but I dare not use it lest I break my brain just thinking about what it takes to survive it. It saves automatically after every single move and doesn't allow you to do a take two or take three when your well considered moves result in immediate catastrophe.

No I can leave that right where it is. Me and my ridiculously customised squad members with their ridiculous action movie names will save the world or at least parts of it from total destruction. Yes maybe it won't be today, maybe not tomorrow or at any point in my foreseeable future but Sergeant Squarejaw and his gang will win, or maybe lose only for me to reload and lose again, then win, maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my top 100 games of all time part 1

It begins! You know what? I'm just going to do it. No more procrastination, no more delay, no more shifting the ranking around to accommodate the latest greatest game I've played. No it's time. Time to deliver on a mission I set for myself back in the first glorious age of this blog before everything went dark for a few years. It's happening folks, I am beginning the Top 100 ranking of my all-time favourite video games.  These will be games I've played so if any obvious contenders are not there it's because I never got around to playing them or I did and then forgot about them meaning they probably wouldn't have made the list anyway. It's all entirely my own personal opinion of the games that mean the most to me. It is the sum total of my best experiences in gaming over several decades of playing them. So where better to begin my Top 100 game ranking than by err... the honourable mentions?

completionism 2025: mega edition

BEHOLD... THE MEGA EDITION! It's time o nce again!  With no further ado b ut actually with some ado I am going to recap my personal year in gaming. The scintillating highs, the cratering lows with all points in-between and beyond spoken for as well. It's that most holy of end of year traditions and let me tell you I am both up for it and down for it simultaneously. On reflection I've somehow said the same thing twice there. Alas now's not the time to deliberate on the foibles and quirks of the English tongue! No it's the time for gaming and a super mega f-tonne of it as well! It's been a busy year for me outside of the gaming habit but yet somehow I have managed to squeeze in another fifty or so games. If the old gaming backlog I complain so much about was looking considerably lighter at the end of 2024 then it's positively slender now at the end of 2025. The list is still mostly comprised of 'old' games but yet again more and more curren...

the art of the ending (or how Deadly Premonition sticks the landing)

Deadly Premonition was a funny old game, an earnestly idiosyncratic tribute to the sensibilities of its creators wrapped up in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery. Of course it's that last part that caused it to pop up somewhere on my radar in the early to mid part of the last decade, anything that even partly channels the weird sensibilities of Twin Peaks and David Lynch invariably gets my attention but back to the game. This is a murder mystery, a dream like odyssey through the unknown and a reckoning with oneself that I wasn't quite prepared for. Short form social media wasn't all the rage just yet when this game was released, yet  Deadly Premonition found a popular little online niche for itself that captured the imagination of much of the gaming public. A curiously beguiling mix of gaming oddity that shouldn't have worked as well as it should have. Indeed some would say it barely worked at all.  As to why it worked for me, well I think there is something to be sa...