Skip to main content

I did that

Just got back from two hours watching a film starring a special effect purporting to be Orlando Bloom and a charismatic dragon who just wants to be left in peace to enjoy his bling. So yet another startling day of zero gaming accomplishment you could say.

Well you could, could be wrong mind but you could. I say zero accomplishment when what I mean to say is I accomplished the gold trophy for a 12 kill kill streak in Hotline Miami. Yes after countless yonks of trying I finally managed to kill 12 bad guys in rapid sequence earning me a reward of nebulous at best value.

Trophies, achievements, insert name here for the reward recognition system of your choice. Complete tasks of non-existent or mind bending difficulty and you get a pleasant ding sound as that reward is forever associated with your gaming ID. The more you ding the more you the player level up in some bizarre game that is life itself.

Imagine a progress bar filling up over and over again to higher and higher levels. A never ending loading bar ticking away towards what? Is there a pinnacle? A climax? A final level beyond which there is only death?  Who knows? It wouldn't be a thing except accomplishment is defined in insultingly simple terms in some games with some awarding you for practically being able to draw breath.

Then there are the others that make you work for it, the ones that fizz away at your sanity until you're brought to the brink of your own personal ruin. Inevitably you rise again in the last moment to achieve that all-important all-meaningful personal milestone in your gaming habit. A victory that probably doesn't mean a whole lot outside the bubble of interconnected socially networked gaming.

Perhaps gaming accomplishments are no more or less important than they used to be, its just that we give them names and values and an online profile to show them off on now. Overall I'd like to think its a positive development but then I would judging by the last few hundred words. Back in the day after spending an age collecting all the secret packages in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City I would have metaphorically killed for some form of recognition of this momentous feat, something set in stone that says 'I did that'.

Essentially its a case of wanting something that records those sweet moments in my gaming experience which doesn't elevate it out of all proportion at the same time. But then maybe its just me making something non-trivial out of something trivial. Probably me then, case closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...