Skip to main content

see you on the other side

Well its time to put the blog down for a day and wish you a merry Christmas or Xmas or your cherished celebration of choice. Its less a white Christmas than an apocalyptic one outside around these here parts with torrential sub-doomsday levels of rain. Truly its that special time of year again.

A time for shiny wrapping paper, nauseating levels of consumption and a time where families get together seemingly for the purpose of talking over each other because who needs to hear the TV anyway. Maybe that last one is just mine. As you can no doubt tell I'm filled with a warm merry glow right now. Might just be the liqueur I've imbibed this evening though.

Oh well whatever the last 12 months have thrown in your general direction here's conveying to you good vibes for 2014 in a blog sized serving of good will. Hope you get a measure of what you're seeking. Heck here's hoping for a good dose of perspective for us all on a day that won't be merry for all.

Sure we only get an approximation of the marketing delusion that is Christmas Day but I'm thankful for the something rather than the nothing some will get tomorrow. Merry Xmas peeps, see you the other side of Boxing Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my top 100 games of all time part 1

It begins! You know what? I'm just going to do it. No more procrastination, no more delay, no more shifting the ranking around to accommodate the latest greatest game I've played. No it's time. Time to deliver on a mission I set for myself back in the first glorious age of this blog before everything went dark for a few years. It's happening folks, I am beginning the Top 100 ranking of my all-time favourite video games.  These will be games I've played so if any obvious contenders are not there it's because I never got around to playing them or I did and then forgot about them meaning they probably wouldn't have made the list anyway. It's all entirely my own personal opinion of the games that mean the most to me. It is the sum total of my best experiences in gaming over several decades of playing them. So where better to begin my Top 100 game ranking than by err... the honourable mentions?

completionism 2025: mega edition

BEHOLD... THE MEGA EDITION! It's time o nce again!  With no further ado b ut actually with some ado I am going to recap my personal year in gaming. The scintillating highs, the cratering lows with all points in-between and beyond spoken for as well. It's that most holy of end of year traditions and let me tell you I am both up for it and down for it simultaneously. On reflection I've somehow said the same thing twice there. Alas now's not the time to deliberate on the foibles and quirks of the English tongue! No it's the time for gaming and a super mega f-tonne of it as well! It's been a busy year for me outside of the gaming habit but yet somehow I have managed to squeeze in another fifty or so games. If the old gaming backlog I complain so much about was looking considerably lighter at the end of 2024 then it's positively slender now at the end of 2025. The list is still mostly comprised of 'old' games but yet again more and more curren...

the art of the ending (or how Deadly Premonition sticks the landing)

Deadly Premonition was a funny old game, an earnestly idiosyncratic tribute to the sensibilities of its creators wrapped up in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery. Of course it's that last part that caused it to pop up somewhere on my radar in the early to mid part of the last decade, anything that even partly channels the weird sensibilities of Twin Peaks and David Lynch invariably gets my attention but back to the game. This is a murder mystery, a dream like odyssey through the unknown and a reckoning with oneself that I wasn't quite prepared for. Short form social media wasn't all the rage just yet when this game was released, yet  Deadly Premonition found a popular little online niche for itself that captured the imagination of much of the gaming public. A curiously beguiling mix of gaming oddity that shouldn't have worked as well as it should have. Indeed some would say it barely worked at all.  As to why it worked for me, well I think there is something to be sa...