Skip to main content

like you're almost there!


Don't be fooled by the meme above there's actual content in this blog update tonight, not much of it but enough to be sure. Still putting together that oft-mentioned but never seen list of my favourite games. It's taking shape, materialising out of the formless ether of memory.

Think I've almost got the list locked down but the odd one still slips through into my recollection every so often. It's an eccentric list looking at it, you've got some of the usual titles that get included in every list like this but also a few ones that rarely get a look in. I feel reasonably confident that its a good cross section of the games I'm stupidly fond of.

Elsewhere, with great fear and just the slightest hint of existential dread I loaded up the single player of campaign of Battlefield 4 again last night for what I realise is now the third playthrough. Sadface. Will my save game randomly disappear again and render all my effort wasted? Maybe that's the real game being played here?

It's the game of life but it's so real it's like you're almost there! Because you are, mostly. Why yes it could be a super bleak commentary on life itself otherwise disguised as an uninspired by-the-numbers self-conscious 'blockbuster' videogame? A game where all your effort and patience is wasted in a meaningless, pointless cycle of repetition? A commentary on gaming when its at its very worst?

Or maybe I'm giving them far too much credit. Yeah it's probably that. We've had working save game technology for some time now in games. How's it got to the point where we're turning the clock back on that I'm not so sure but its happening. Maybe its fixed, maybe EA are not playing roulette with my patience anymore? Maybe I won't have to revisit the same bland, uninspired story once more in the hope that it will get better by the end? Maybe there's far too many maybe's in this paragraph? Maybe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

blood, magic and seawater...

Haven't done a book review for the blog in a while, not since the dark days of 2022 and that William Gibson trilogy I endured. Instead here's some assorted thoughts on a book I just finished, 1987's On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. Expanded and revised from the review I posted recently on Amazon and Goodreads, all ill-judged opinions are my own. The short version: It's a rollicking yarn full of pirates, ghouls, dark magic and bloodshed, I really enjoyed it, thanks for coming! Oh you want the longer one do you?