Skip to main content

postmodern warfare

Recently played my way through the Splinter Cell HD Trilogy. A stroll through the early history of everyone's favourite stealth series that isn't Metal Gear Solid. It holds up surprisingly well as a lean, mean, taut stealth machine. More games should have Michael Ironside in them. Hell Splinter Cell should have more Michael Ironside in it now that he's tired of video game voice acting.
It's a series where you sneak through the dry and dusty avenues of Tom Clancy World! You'll know it when you see it. Clandestine antics, a suspect world-view and a mostly bland set of characters free of character. If you're unsure what exactly the plot is here, general rule of thumb dictates there's usually a conspiracy against Freedom or America or 'The West'. Think straight to DVD action flick but quieter. So very quiet, dark too.
No one pays for electricity here, certainly not the bad guys but then your standard issue nogoodnik obviously is too consumed with their vendetta of the day to actually illuminate their surroundings. Naturally this gives rise to all the sneaking and espionage and subterfuge that comes with the territory courtesy of one Sam Fisher. 

Ah Sam Fisher, disavowed elite anti-terrorist whose presence cannot be confirmed or denied on foreign soil. You know the gig, he's the scalpel, the sharp tip of the war machine when and where it can't afford to raise the volume. The most human-like figure in the entire enterprise and that's only due to said voice acting. Elevates it just a smidgen above the expressive power of polystyrene but only just.

Seriously I can't overstate just how generic the world of Splinter Cell is. Outside of the core gameplay I could barely summon one lone fuck from the depths of my imagination throughout the entire trilogy. As I've said its no Metal Gear Solid lacking as it does the more eccentric charms of that particular series. Its trying to be all uber-real, authentic and gritty in a way that's entirely uninteresting to me. The end result is a world more static and less layered than the real one.

But that sneaking, that sense of tension as you navigate the pitch black with nothing but your night vision goggles and your wits for protection, that still holds up I think. Solid game design that doesn't age this game nearly as badly as its post millennial techno thriller pretensions. So on the last word is it worth a recommendation? Yes it gets one. Dodgy subtexts aside, when it works it works. The early years of Sam Fisher: Neocon Ninja gets the nod, now go play it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my top 100 games of all time part 1

It begins! You know what? I'm just going to do it. No more procrastination, no more delay, no more shifting the ranking around to accommodate the latest greatest game I've played. No it's time. Time to deliver on a mission I set for myself back in the first glorious age of this blog before everything went dark for a few years. It's happening folks, I am beginning the Top 100 ranking of my all-time favourite video games.  These will be games I've played so if any obvious contenders are not there it's because I never got around to playing them or I did and then forgot about them meaning they probably wouldn't have made the list anyway. It's all entirely my own personal opinion of the games that mean the most to me. It is the sum total of my best experiences in gaming over several decades of playing them. So where better to begin my Top 100 game ranking than by err... the honourable mentions?

completionism 2025: mega edition

BEHOLD... THE MEGA EDITION! It's time o nce again!  With no further ado b ut actually with some ado I am going to recap my personal year in gaming. The scintillating highs, the cratering lows with all points in-between and beyond spoken for as well. It's that most holy of end of year traditions and let me tell you I am both up for it and down for it simultaneously. On reflection I've somehow said the same thing twice there. Alas now's not the time to deliberate on the foibles and quirks of the English tongue! No it's the time for gaming and a super mega f-tonne of it as well! It's been a busy year for me outside of the gaming habit but yet somehow I have managed to squeeze in another fifty or so games. If the old gaming backlog I complain so much about was looking considerably lighter at the end of 2024 then it's positively slender now at the end of 2025. The list is still mostly comprised of 'old' games but yet again more and more curren...

the art of the ending (or how Deadly Premonition sticks the landing)

Deadly Premonition was a funny old game, an earnestly idiosyncratic tribute to the sensibilities of its creators wrapped up in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery. Of course it's that last part that caused it to pop up somewhere on my radar in the early to mid part of the last decade, anything that even partly channels the weird sensibilities of Twin Peaks and David Lynch invariably gets my attention but back to the game. This is a murder mystery, a dream like odyssey through the unknown and a reckoning with oneself that I wasn't quite prepared for. Short form social media wasn't all the rage just yet when this game was released, yet  Deadly Premonition found a popular little online niche for itself that captured the imagination of much of the gaming public. A curiously beguiling mix of gaming oddity that shouldn't have worked as well as it should have. Indeed some would say it barely worked at all.  As to why it worked for me, well I think there is something to be sa...