Skip to main content

you got game (music) #3


Happy August one and all! It's been a mostly sunny carefree month here. Sunshine, blue skies and a stillness to the air, true peak August vibes all said. So what better way to lean into the tail end of summer as the evenings gently grow darker and the temperature feels a touch cooler, than with another sample of my favourite game music. This time around it comes from a game I may have mentioned around these here parts previously: Hotline Miami, otherwise referred to by myself as 'Trippy Retro Ultra-Violent Hallucinogenic Slash Bang: The Game'. 

Where to begin with this one? I feel like this is one of those games I've had a real fascination with for a long time. In fact thinking about this game again I am struck by the realisation that this game came out over a solid decade ago now, back in the autumn of 2012 and then releasing for consoles in 2013 when I got my hands on it. Eventually when I compile that list of favourite games I keep meaning to get around to this will definitely feature somewhere high-up on it. 

Not just for the snappy, neon-saturated retro gameplay which it has in spades. No this is a game that introduced me to something long-lasting. Something which I may have had a vague awareness of beforehand but which crystallised into shape the moment I played this game. in short Hotline Miami gave me an appreciation for synthwave, that strain of electronic music inspired by the moody synthesizer soundtracks of eighties pop culture. Now synthwave is my go-to preferred term of choice but it seems to be one of those genres with no shortage of sub-genres and alternative labels. Retrowave, vapourwave, chillwave, darkwave and if Wikipedia has anything to say about it there's also something called Sovietwave and you just know I am going to be checking that out as soon as I'm finished here. 

Anyhow, back to Hotline Miami and a soundtrack that is up there with the very best of them, headed by what is for me its definitive track: 'Miami' by Jasper Byrne.



This is the track I still place at the top of my all-time favourite pieces of music. A prevailing sense of uncertainty, ambivalence and nostalgia speeding its way along the highway at night. A dream of danger and hope playing out against the certainty that all things end summed up in a mere four and a half minutes. it's quite the track is what i'm saying and an absolute favourite of mine. This being the internet, naturally others have come and put their own spin on it as well meaning I have no shortage of favourite variations on it as well which I include below for your listening pleasure. 




Oh and a version with vocals from Trevor Something with intentionally dodgy lyrics...


You know what? While I'm at it I might just go, sit back and listen to the whole soundtrack again for the seven billionth time, that's some good listening there. Also Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, go check that out as well, its more of the same but more confusing, but in a good way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...