Skip to main content

you got game (music) #4



If any three words could sum up my gaming habits in the late nineties, those three words would probably be 'Command and Conquer' or even 'Command & Conquer' if we're going to be pedantic about it. Top down real time strategy games that I was well into back then. The gameplay was solid, the tone (at least in the early games) had the vague feel of the real world about it and most importantly for the subject of today's post, it had a stonking great soundtrack that still holds up all these years later. 


Yes I have many great fond memories of the initial game and its immediate follow up, the alternate history inspired Red Alert. Over time the sheen would come off somewhat and by the time the series retired it was firmly in the realm of self-parody but for a while there there was nothing quite like settling into a game of Command & Conquer. The medium tanks! The heavy tanks! The Tesla Coils! That little noise soldiers made when tanks ran them over that sounded a little bit like the sound of a grape getting squished underfoot! Not to mention the acting in those mission briefings, oh the acting and the CGI work of the late nineties! Yes I have much love for Command & Conquer and I do wish someone at EA would get around to giving it another chance one of these days.


As I say, it wasn't just the game-play itself as good as that was, for me it was also very much about the mood and the atmosphere. The soundtrack does more than its share of the heavy lifting here courtesy of one Mr Frank Klepacki, a longtime collaborator with the team at the much-missed Westwood Studios. His soundtrack really etched itself into the brain of many a gamer back then. When news broke a few years ago of the then imminent release of the Command & Conquer remastered collection, this triggered an almost immediate nostalgia for the soundtrack of these games amongst many of my peers. Foreboding synths, rocking guitars, thumping techno assault. The soundtrack to these games are something special indeed. 


So please enjoy this selection of my especially favourite tracks from the C&C games. With the news that the entire series is now available on Steam I may just have to load up the old gaming PC and do some nostalgia hunting in the near future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

foreverware

Once upon a time in the dark ages, in the long ago, in the age before the iPhone and reliable high speed broadband there was the humble video game. You would play it, it would last for a finite length of time and then it would end. You'd move on and play another game, maybe read a book, watch a film, join a ukulele band. You'd cast that game into the realm of memories past, enriched by the experience in some way but no longer actively partaking of it. Now that time never ended as such, those games are still very much around but in the here and now they have been eclipsed somewhat by something else altogether.

anime hair and the end of days

I've just completed a game that, in normal circumstances at least, wouldn't generally be my cup of tea. A game remastered and released in 2021 but which originally arrived in 2010 in a somewhat 'adjusted' manner shall we say?. A game I meant to get around to back then but never did and now that I have finally gotten around to both playing and completing it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not. That game is Nier Replicant or to give it it's full re-released title:  Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... because clearly the game alone wasn't baffling enough....

the refreshing taste of cosmic justice

As alluded to in my last post I have some thoughts about the game I have spent most of the last week playing, that game being Paradise Killer , those thoughts being well... these ones.  First up it seems like a minor miracle that I am playing a game like this in 2023 on my PS5 and not on my PS2 in the hallowed year of our lord 2001. it's a game that's quite simple and straightforward in some ways and in others it has a lot going on just beneath the surface. It feels about as removed from the generic high budget videogame as it gets these days without going into the realm of indie low-budget. There's some weird throwback energy going on here is what I am saying and over the next few hundred words I will attempt to put said thoughts in some kind of coherent order. To the commentary...